CONTACT US          FACEBOOK

Landfall's Kent Cottage

Interpretative Signage at LandfallLANDFALL comprises Kent Cottage and its eleven acres of surrounding rugged countryside, located on the north side of Brigus Bay, Newfoundland, Canada. Kent Cottage is a treasure in the province’s inventory of cultural and heritage assets.

Since its construction by the Pomeroy family some two hundred years ago, Kent Cottage has been hauntingly visible at the edge of Brigus. It is now the last remaining structure in the area known as “Freshwater,” where ships used to take on fresh water from the stream flowing from the hills behind, past the house, over the cliffs, and into the ocean.

While the structure dates back to the early 19th Century, it is its 20th Century occupants that have brought it fame. It has long been a retreat for artists and writers.

Above: interpretative placard at entrance to Landfall; Rockwell Kent (resident between 1914 & 1915), A.E. Harris (resident owner between 1929 & 1933) & Jake Folensbee (seasonal resident and owner between 1953 & 2004). Photo by Dennis Flynn, 2012.

Rockwell Kent

Rockwell Kent Newfoundland HomeArtist, writer and adventurer, Rockwell Kent resided for a year and a half, during 1914-15, at Kent cottage. His subsequent fame and antics brought considerable notoriety and attention to the property. Kent first came to Newfoundland in 1910 seeking a location for an art school. He last visited in 1968 as a guest of Premier, Joseph Smallwood.

Landfall figured prominently in Kent’s autobiography It’s Me O Lord (1955), and in numerous illusttations and paintings. Michael Winter’s award winning novel, The Big Why (2004), featured Rockwell Kent and much of his activity while at Landfall.

For more information about Kent's residency at Llanddall, please see our Kent Centennial pages.

Right: Newfoundland Home. Courtesy of Plattsburgh State Art Museum, SUNY, USA, Rockwell Kent Collection, Bequest of Sally Kent Gorton. All rights reserved. Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, Maine; Museum Purchase with Funds Donated Anonymously.

Albert Edward Harris

Kent Cottage, circa 1930Gifted artist, Albert Edward Harris (A.E.), an English engineer, owned and occupied Kent Cottage between 1929 and 1933. Very little is published on Mr. Harris, but a wonderful exhibition booklet, titled A.E.Harris in Newfoundland, documents his time in Newfoundland, the cottage, and is illustrated with many of his paintings and etchings.

The out of-print booklet was organized by the (then known) Art Gallery at Memorial University and supported a 1983 Harris exhibit at the Gallery. After Mr. Harris's death, his paintings and etchings were left in trust to the Newfoundland Art Society and eventurally transferred to the provincial government's Cultural Affairs Division.

Above: Kent Cottage Christmas Card, 2.5 x 4", etching, circa 1930, A.E. Harris

Bradley Jacob Folensbee, Jr.

LandfallBradley Jacob Folensbee, Jr. (Jake), of Seattle, Washington, purchased the property in 1953. He was a dedicated educator, amatuer artist, writer and pianist. Jake’s period of ownership spanned 51 years; he invested considerably in Landfall’s preservation and acquired adjoining properties to improve its environmental protection. Jake's legacy is found in the restoration of Kent Cottage and enabling the creation of the Landfall Trust, preserving and protecting the historic cottage and enabling its use for the Trust's artist & writers-in-residence programs.

Come with us to hear an audio recording, of Trust board member Robert Frampton, a former student and friend, remembering Jake.

A limited number of Jake's watercolour reprints of Mid-Century Brigus Scenes are available on the Landfall Press page. Proceeds from fine-art print sales support the Landfall Legacy Endowment.

Right: Landfall, Kent Cottage & Brigus Harbour, 20 x 30", acrylic on canvas,
circa 1970, Jake Folensbee, on display with other of his works at the Brigus Public Library.

"There is a happiness here, a happiness you feel in the house."    — Jake Folensbee, CBC interview